Thursday, May 29, 2014

Last Day: Saving the Best for Last

Packing up our bags, we said good-bye to the beautiful La Residencia hotel and began our day pedaling toward the coast.

Pedaling uphill, our little group followed the coastal route from Deia to Andratx, through Valdemossa, Banyalbufar, and Estellencs.  With an elevation gain of 970 meters, the scenery of the ocean below was breathtaking and it’s no wonder that this route is considered one best on the island.

Thankfully, what goes up must come down, so after a little rest at the top, we streamed down the mountain to our lunch destination overlooking the sea of Port d’Andratx where we met with a local winemaker -- and sampled some of his vintages.



We had completed 29 miles before lunch, but our day wasn’t over yet.  We still had to go to our last hotel – and considering how incredible our first two were, we couldn’t wait to see what Duvine had in store for us on our final night.

 We weren’t to be disappointed. 





Cap Rocat is old fortress that has been turned into a hotel.  It still has the stone walls surrounding the area and may not look at beautifully landscaped as our previous hotels that were by vineyards.  But what it lacked it flowers, it made up in interior luxury.




My room was bigger than my apartment and came with a huge canopy bed, and an amazing bathroom. And each room came with it's own private daybed area that overlooked the ocean.  (One of the perks of being built in fortress guarding the coast.)



The hotel also comes with a five-star restaurant and then there is the spa which I heard was fantastic --although I didn't have time to pamper myself there.  However, I did get up early and go for a morning run with their personal on-site jogging dude. I'm not sure what his real job title is, but he basically meets all the guests who want to go running at 8 a.m. and then takes you on a running tour for as long as your legs can take you. 

But my absolute favorite part of this hotel was the breakfast service.  You didn't have to go to the buffet; instead they brought the buffet to you in a giant picnic basket and set it up on your patio in the morning.



You know how you wish you could order one of everything from the menu? This is what it was like.  I had eggs, croissants, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, meats, dried fruits, tea, hot chocolate, juice, toast and a bunch of other things.  



To be fair, they probably assumed that I was a party of two (and not traveling solo) but I did my best to eat what I could -- and because of my thrifty upbringing, I packed up what I could in my suitcase to eat later. 

Brunch is my favorite meal so for me this was the best way to end my amazing cycling adventure with Duvine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment