Friday, November 4, 2011

Running away to Miami for the weekend

You can never go wrong with a weekend getaway to Miami – or at least, I can never wrong. I love the whole Miami vibe. I love the food, the fashion, the people, the ocean and the shopping.

The weather doesn’t even to be good for me to have a good time. In fact, even in the rain, I find the city is beautiful. There's something to be said about palm trees swaying in the wind and the ocean surf crashing up on the beach.  I can watch the waves forever.

Last time I went, it stormed the whole time which is rare for Florida at that time of year. But it forced me to stop and relax instead of trying to cram in paddle boarding, cycling and everything else I had planned. Instead, I enjoyed some quality down time in my favorite city.

So what did I do?

Well, I spent a couple nights in the Fort Lauderdale Ritz.  This is not as decadent as you think as the price of this hotel is actually cheaper than many of the South Beach hotels. 

Except for the one flaw of being a $40 cab ride from South Beach if you want to go clubbing, the hotel has everything you could want. It's on the water and there's a running path so you can jog along the beach for miles if you want.  Plus, it's got a great pool and the restaurant is nice.

 But there is one other perk of the hotel which makes rainy days into happy relaxing days and that is their wine bar.

The wine bar also happens to have a really good tasting menu. I ended up tasting a 2009 Sella and Mosca "La Cala" Vermentino from Sardinia, a 2010 La Chapelle Gordonne Rose from France and a 2007 Villa Matilde "Falerno del Massica" from Italy.

In addition to relaxing with some interesting wines you don't find in your average store, you never know who is going to be the hotel with you.

While sipping wine and nibbling on cheese, I ran into a guy who gets paid to be Sean Connery’s double. Now that’s an interesting job!

No comments:

Post a Comment