Friday, October 1, 2010

Jazzed up in Tracy

You know how you should never judge a book by its cover? Well…you should never judge a town by its news coverage.

Working in the media for years, whenever I drive by a new city or an area, the first thing that pops in my head will be “oh, that’s where that fire happened” or “oh, that’s where they found so-and-so.” You know how it is…every place has a story.

So when I had to visit a friend in Tracy, the story that popped in my head was, “The unidentified blue lights of Tracy.” Not that there’s anything wrong with UFOs. They are cool, but I was wondering what else I was going to find there.

My first stop was Helm’s Ale House where they make these incredible pan-fried garlic bread thingies. Yes, that’s correct – the bread is pan-fried and it’s really good. There is also enough garlic on them to scare away any vampires in a hundred mile radius – but I do recommend them.

Helm’s (named after the owner) opened just over a year ago, is family-owned and has excellent service. I have no idea how many ales they have on the menu, but the assortment seemed pretty good and Helm also makes a couple of specialty ale cocktails that are worth a try.

After dinner, the next stop was The Main Street Jazz Café, which is really located on Central Street – not Main. This place is a hidden gem. Maybe it’s not so hidden to those that live in the area, but for a Midtown-grid girl like me, I had no idea this wonderful place existed.

Run by a father and son, I’m going to describe it as a coffee shop/wine bistro as you can get both there. It's filled with comfy sofas, warm mood lighting and intimate little rooms, so the café is like hanging out in someone’s living room – if you happen to know someone who is very cool and has great taste in decor. Plus, they actually do have live jazz and blues bands playing every night. Yay!! Love live music.

The Main Street Jazz Café is also  great place to chill and relax, and the jazz, in case you were wondering, is fantastic.

So will I be going back to Tracy anytime soon? Definitely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment