Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meet Houston's hottest bachelors on 'Holidate'

How far would you go to find Mr. Right? Houston's own adventurous Cynthia Hunt and hopeless romantic Jacky were willing to swap cities and dating pools to find out if their match was out there - and they were willing to do while being filmed on SOAPnet's newest dating reality show.

That's right. On Wednesday night Cynthia Hunt, a skin care products company vice president and freelance journalist from Houston, will swap places with Jacky Reres, a regional account manager from Los Angeles.

GETTING TO KNOW THE GIRLS

"I never thought I would do something like this, but my friends talked me into it," said Cynthia.

Each of the women decided to do the show for different reasons. For Jacky, it was all about finding true love.

"I'm a hopeless romantic and I believe it is possible to find someone in another city," said Jacky, who is also in the process of writing a romance novel. "LA is a difficult place to date. A lot of people are in the entertainment business and not focused on having a relationship. For me, at this point in my life, a long term relationship is what I want."

But Cynthia had a different reason.

"I find it a challenge to find guys who are strong enough for me," said Cynthia. "The show was about real women dating real men."

Cynthia says the show addresses the epidemic of smart, single, successful women in their 30s like her.

"I felt it was very pro-woman. I wasn't asked to get in a bikini and hop in a hot tub. I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to do," said Cynthia.

In fact, the crew and producers made sure the girls were comfortable about everything they did on the show. Cynthia says they made her feel like Cinderella.

"I told them that I would rather eat maggots than wear a bathing suit on TV and they were okay with that," said Cynthia. "From the moment I started, they treated me like I was special and tried to make it the best experience that they could."

THE HOLIDATE DATES WITH THE HOTTEST BACHELORS IN HOUSTON

So what did the the girls have to do?

Well, each of the girls had to go on three blind dates with guys the other girl set them up with. And the dates sounded pretty darn good.

Cynthia said her dates included a helicopter ride and dinner, a Harley ride and beach date, and a hike and then dinner at an exclusive restaurant that was open just for the two of them. Don't these sound fabulous? I'm beginning to think that I need a Holidate.

"Men should watch the show just to learn how to plan a creative date. One thing these bachelors all did was plan creative fun dates," said Cynthia.

Cynthia's bachelors were as exciting as her excursions and included an account executive and a fitness model.

But what surprised Cynthia was surprised that the network set her up with one bachelor that was nearly 10 years younger than her. While she normally doesn't date guys that young, by the end of the date, she was glad she gave him a chance.

"One of the guys they set me up with was 29-years-old and I'm 38. I have gotten over it now, and he was very mature and an old soul. He was actually a male model who was living in LA, but was from Houston," said Cynthia.

But just like other reality shows, there were some conditions to the dates. The girls were not allowed to talk to the dates when the camera was off so if you're watching the show, you will know as much about the men as they do.

Also, all their dates were on camera...and if you've been on a blind date recently you already know how nerve wracking they can be. Just imagine it being caught on camera for the world to see. Talk about stress.

"It was stressful to date on camera. It's just not natural. But you can still figure out if you have a connection or not," said Cynthia.

Jacky, too, went on three dates. Her bachelors included a senior consultant, marketing executive and an architect. The guys took her to all the hot spots in the city. In fact, one Houston restaurant, Tony's at 3755 Richmond, is even making the Holidate drink in honor of the show. It's PAMA (a pomegranate liqueur), cranberry and pineapple juice over ice.

"All my dates were around Houston. They were in places that the guys wanted to me to experience while I was in their city and that they thought that I would enjoy," said Jacky.

Being the ultimate romantic, Jacky wouldn't reveal which date was her favorite or where the guys took her. But just like Cynthia, Jacky learned to expand her dating boundaries.

"Everyone has their criteria of what they want in somebody. I found out that many of my preconceived notions of how somebody would be, based on what they did for a living or their interests, was not what I expected," said Jacky.

Jacky says that usually she'll give up on the guy and leave a date in five minutes if she feels it isn't working. With the show, she couldn't do that. She had to stick it out.

"The show forced me to sit through the duration of the date," said Jacky. "I learned that maybe I should stick out my dates in my real life because you can learn a lot about a person if you hang in there. Maybe they would have been a good match for you if you hadn't blown them off in 5 minutes."

SO HOW DID THE BACHELORS RATE?

The girls weren't allowed to reveal how their dates went. You'll have to tune into the Houston show to find out.

BUT they did let a few things slide....

"Jacky's Houston guys were three sexy gentlemen," said Cynthia. "Ryan, Sam and Rob are all confident and adventurous."

"Guys in Texas are definitely better than LA boys," said Jacky.

Hmmm...sounds like these Houston boys are the ones you single girls should look for -- unless you're not into confident, hot, sexy men.

The girls also had advice for the single people out there:

"Keep an open mind. Maybe the person for you isn't in the city that you live in; maybe they are somewhere else," said Jackie.

"Prince Charming doesn't come knocking on your door. You need to get out, network and let your friends set you up. You have to work at it just like you worked at everything else in your life. It doesn't just magically happen like it does in the movies," said Cynthia.

Now that's good advice from girls who know.

You can catch the Houston episode on Wednesday at 9 p.m. on SOAPnet

No comments:

Post a Comment