Monday, June 15, 2009

Checking out Sheila Kelley's S-Factor

Four years ago, I saw "Desperate Housewives" star Teri Hatcher perform a pole trick on Oprah. Ever since then I swore that if I lived in a city that had a Sheila Kelley's S-Factor studio, I would have to try it.

Turns out, Houston is one of two cities outside of California that has one. They also happen to have monthly introduction nights for $20 to give newbies like me a little taste of what the classes would be like - without committing to an 8 week course.

WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE POLE DANCING CLASS

The evening started with everyone gathering in the lobby. I was happy to see that I wasn't the only girl curious about the program. There must have been at least 40 of us there (the intro night actually sold out so if you do want to try it, sign up early).

Now before you think you'll be hanging upside down on the pole right away, let me just tell you that won't be happening. Instead, most of the intro class was a combination of yoga and Pilates moves to help increase core strength and flexibility - and believe me, you're going to need it because pole dancing is much harder than it looks.

But you won't worry about that in the first lesson. In fact, the whole experience was kind of relaxing as they dim the lights and play great music while you work out. The only difference is that these exercises will leave you feeling sore the next day. Really sore. I must admit that my quads were hurting and my abs felt like I had done a thousand crunches.

TAKING ON THE POLE

Once you've worked out all your muscles, it's time to do what everyone who signed up wanted to do since the beginning of the night - swing on the pole.

I swear, even though we all wanted to try it, we all were scared to death. I mean, they look slippery and what if you fall on your butt?

But have no fear. The instructors are fantastic and incredibly supportive.

First they showed us step-by-step how to do the basic "Firefly" or "Fireman" spin and then they came around and taught us one-by-one so that each of us could do it by the end of the class.

I must admit it was invigorating to master it and all of us were on a personal high after flying weighlessly through the air - even though we knew we would have bruises the next day.

Yes, that's right. You will leave the studio bruised.

I had bruises on the back of my legs and the top of my feet (who knows how that happened) but it was totally worth it - because let's face it, unless you hang out in those night clubs with they happen to have stripper poles or happen to live in an old fire hall, you'll never get to do this. And you'll never get to do in an environment as supportive as this.

THE BIG FINALE

But the night wasn't over yet. For the big finale the instructors got together and did a little routine to showcase all the incredible tricks you would eventually learn to do on the pole -- if you decided to sign up for lessons.

Now don't start thinking these girls are wanna-be strippers, because they weren't. Some of them were married, another one was a nurse, one was even expecting a baby. The girls were also fully dressed and wearing workout outfits (no high heels or anything slutty). The only difference between this class and an aerobics class was they had a pole and they moved like jaguars - graceful, powerful and confident.

Watching them, you realize that all those core building exercises you did at the beginning of the class were necessary as you need to have strength to move like they do.

THINKING ABOUT CHECKING IT OUT

So was it worth the $20? Definitely!

You'll get to spend quality time with your girlfriends (no guys allowed) while getting a fabulous workout. Plus, you are doing something you don't get to do in any other studio in the city. And it's perfect for women of all ages and sizes. In fact, I saw women ranging from early 20s to early 50s.

Just remember to wear comfortable clothes and be prepared to work your muscles.

I'm going back. Just one class and I'm already totally addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment