Thursday, February 19, 2009

Experiencing the "Goode" old Armadillo Palace

Here's a confession: Before moving Houston, I had no idea what Honky Tonk was.

Sure I had heard that Dire Straits Sultans of Swing song where they say "He can play honky tonk just like anything," and of course, the Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman." But you know, those songs do not prepare you for Goode's Armadillo Palace on Kirby.

Let me just say, that I love, love, LOVE the giant armadillo outside the place. Every time I see him, he totally makes me laugh. I think it's the red laser beam eyes. Or may it's because he has steer horns (he's a true Texas armadillo) and smoke comes out of his nose (click on the image to see a bigger version).

Whatever, it is, you know going in that it's going to be a night to remember.

And it was. If you've never been, you have got to go. It's a Houston classic and decorated in that Texas style that you only find in good old bars.

There is stuff hanging off the walls, off the ceiling and off the beams. But it's not just stuff; it's cool memorabilia that makes the Armadillo what it is. You're going to see giant horns on the wall, pictures, steer heads and old rifles. The bar seats are even in the shape of saddles.

This place is like stepping into the wild West --if you had to cram all the West into one room. And this is exactly why I'm bringing my parents there when they visit. It's like a western museum with live music and a whiskey bar.

Yes, that's right. They have a whiskey bar, which is one of the reasons why I decided to go. Because frankly, I had never heard of a whiskey bar before.

They also have food that ranges from BBQ to venison chili to Frito pie.

But if you don't like Honky Tonk, don't worry. They have other bands. They just happened to be playing Honky Tonk when I was there.

So what did I think? Hmmmm....let's just say I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of that style of music. Like the whiskey, it's an acquired taste.

Still...I love that giant armadillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment