Saturday, January 24, 2009

Gloria Gaynor is absolutely divine

If Gloria Gaynor is a diva, then I want some of her diva-ness to wash off on me. I had the chance to meet her this week while she was in Houston for her concert and she is absolutely divine!!

"I try not to be a diva," said Gaynor. "I really try not to bother anyone with anything beyond what I need that I can't get myself."

Gaynor may be a diva on the stage (because who can deny her incredible voice and stage presence), but when not performing she is gracious, classy and humble. In fact, when I met her at lunch and complimented her on her fabulous red printed overwrap, she was almost shy.

"Thanks. It was something that was easy," said Gaynor, referring to the outfit.

SINGING WITH THE HOUSTON SYMPHONY
Thirty years after her hit "I Will Survive" went number one, Gaynor kicked off her celebration tour in Houston with a concert. But this wasn't your traditional disco concert. It was special and something that was new -- even for Gaynor.

You see, months ago she was approached by Sean O'Loughlin from the Houston Symphony who said he'd like to create some special arrangements just for her.

"I was thrilled and honored for the opportunity. I had never performed with a full symphony before," said Gaynor.

The months leading up to the January 23 performance, Gaynor's excitement continued to grow as she heard snippets of the arrangements from O'Loughlin.

"I haven't heard it all together," said Gloria, the day before the concert. "I'll be hearing just a few hours before the audience will, but from what I've heard, it's going to be 'wow'."

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING BORROWED...

"Wow" doesn't even describe the concert, and those who attended agree.

"This was my best night in my life. I have been listening to Gloria Gaynor for years and I still play 'I Will Survive' whenever I'm down," said Aida West, concert attendee.

Right from the first song, "Goin' Out of My Head," Gaynor had the audience captivated. She sang all of her hits including "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "I Am What Am," and then threw in a couple of her favorite all time songs, including an upbeat version of "Every Breath You Take" and Barbara Streisand's "The Way We Were." She even honored a young "diva," Christina Aguilera.

"Sometimes an artist does a song that you wish you could have done," said Gaynor, as she prepped the audience for her rendition of Aguilera's 'Beautiful.' "I promised you something old, something new, something borrowed, but nothing blue. Well...this one is borrowed."

But the song that blew many people away was Gaynor's version of "Killing Me Softly." Combined with the powerful sound of the symphony behind her, the song sounded like it was made for Gaynor's voice. In fact, the very first note brought the crowd to a spontaneous applause.

THE GLORIA GAYNOR MOMENT WE CAME FOR

While the concert was incredible, let's face it, everyone was really there for one thing: To hear the Disco Diva sing her Grammy winning hit, "I Will Survive."

Now, let me just say that before the concert, I was worried that the song would loose some of its disco power with the symphony behind it, but you'll be glad to hear, that I was completely wrong. It was even better!

From the moment Gloria started with "First I was afraid...," she had the entire audience clapping and cheering. Then, when she got into the verses, we were singing along - because why not? We all knew the words and frankly, Gloria didn't seem to mind. She was dancing and beaming just like the rest of us.

And at the end of the song, we couldn't even give her a standing ovation, because we were already were standing. It was an incredible experience and I'm sure if Gloria decided to sing that song again in her encore, none of us would have complained. Of course, she didn't. She came out and did a Marvin Gaye classic which was just as good.

BUT IT WASN'T OVER

Whew...you would think after a high like that, the night would be over. Well, not quite - at least it wasn't over for a few hundred of her fans who decided to buy a ticket to the after-party.

After the concert, the theatre transformed the stage area into a modern version of Studio 54 complete with a DJ, leather sofas and of course, a disco ball. While sipping on wine and cocktails, fans dance, mingled and re-lived the night by discussing their favorites.

But that's not all. Gloria Gaynor was also at the party and spent hours taking pictures with fans, talking with them and just being her gracious, fabulous self. It was a night all those who attended would cherish.

"It was a memorable night," said Jason Hose. "I was surprised that she came to Houston. And after tonight, I feel like I can do anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment