Saturday, November 1, 2008

Luling: It's on the barbeque trail - really!

Once called the toughest town in Texas, Luling is now famous for being medium-rare. But this time their fame comes from their barbeque, and not from the residents - although I'm sure you can find a couple tough old Texans hanging around if you really looked.

I didn't meet up with any, but I did come across the town's two barbeque joints: City Market and Luling Barbeque.

So here's a question that you might be able to answer: Which one of these is the best?

Both of the barbeque places, which are located down the street from each other, claim to be the best, so I decided I was going to try both. Unfortunately, City Barbeque was closed on the Sunday that I decided to take my trip down the Texas Barbeque Trail (yes, this trail really does exist -- there is even a website), so I had to settle with only trying Luling Barbeque.

I'm glad I did. I can't say it was the best barbeque I've ever had, but you did get a lot for your money. Their menu includes brisket, pork ribs, chicken, sausage, and pork tenderloin. Combination plates are available with choice of two sides including potato salad, coleslaw, pinto beans, and macaroni and cheese for less than $7.

I had the chicken with scalloped potatoes and beans, and my friend got the pork ribs with macaroni and cheese. While my chicken was pretty good and better than most barbeque places I've been to, it was my scalloped potatoes that won me over. They were the real deal.

But if you do go to Luling, go at the end of June. That's when they have the Luhling annual Watermelon Thump, which may be the only chance you have in your life to become a melonhead for a day. No really...they have pictures of people wearing these things on their heads.

During the Thump, there are watermelon eating contests, watermelon seed spitting contests, watermelon auctions, parades and even bands.

I might have to go back for the seed spitting contest. There's something about it that tells me it's going to be one melon of a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment