Friday, October 24, 2008

On the wings of a B-25 War Bird

Frank Stokes is my hero of the day. A retired Air Force Colonel, he's been volunteering for the Ron Carter Wings Over Houston show for the last 8 years, and knows Ellington Field like it's his own backyard.

He's also a gentleman, and came to my rescue today when I was lost and had no idea where the Southwest Service entrance was.

In a second, he had me on the back of his golf cart and whipped me across the field to my destination.

When I asked him, what brings him back to the airshow year-after-year, he said it was the planes.

"I love all of them. This is one show where I can see the planes I grew up with," said Stokes.

JUST LOOK UP

He's not the only who fell in love with the planes.

Friday, the pilots put on a "barrier-free" show for children and adults with special needs, and all 4,600 Houston-area spectators were in awe of the aerial maneuvers that were happening above them.
And you can't blame them.

The father and son team of Sean and Eric William Drake Tucker were incredible. Flying in two red planes, the twosome performed a synchronized formation that was flawless.

As they spinned and turned, you couldn't help but hold your breath. Yes, they are professionals and Sean Tucker is an award winning pilot, but still you have to wonder how the plane can handle the tight corkscrew spins.

Then there's the Flash Fire Jet Truck. This is a must see for everyone, just because it's cool. Basically it's a Chevy truck with a jet engine on the back. It goes over 300 mph and has a power to weight ratio of 4 to 1.

What makes it cool is the flames. Sure they are rocket-sized and give off a large burst of heat, but it's the powerful sound of the engine that got to me. When the flames ignite, you can feel the sound waves vibrate through your body.

And of course, I can't forget Captain Julie Clark. She's been flying for more than 38 years and was one of the first women to fly for a major airline. Her plane is a Chevron Mentor T-34 from the 1950s. She bought it in 1976. She picked it up in Alaska and flew it home to California.

RIDING IN THE WAR BIRD

But the highlight of the day was my ride in a B-25 Mitchell Bomber.

Before I get to my incredible flight, let me tell you about the legend behind the plane. Apparently, back in 1942 Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle led 16 B-25s on a daring mission as part of America's first response to Pearl Harbor. This plane serves a flying tribute to the 80 brave men who flew in that mission, but it also serves as a reminder to veterans, which is why the Department of Veterans Affairs (DAV) brought it along to the airshow.

"People have no idea of the kinds of services that we do for veterans. Whether it's help with benefits, transportation or fighting to get them what they deserve, we are here for them," said Lynn May, Event Coordinator for DAV Aviation Outreach Program.

If you go to the show, you won't be able to miss it. It's the big green plane with Doolittle Raiders written on the side and will probably be located by the DAV display trailer.

And if you get to go up in it, take the chance as it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

First of all, it's not like any other plane you will have gone in if you've only flown commercially. Secondly, it's not made for luxury, but for protection, so it's full of steel.

"I've been flying for 45 years," said Dan Blanchard, one of the pilots of the craft. "I love flying all planes."

Blanchard spent his flying career, flying civilian planes. One of his favorites is the Spitfire. The B-25 isn't a light plane like that one; it's heavy. It's also loud.

Before the flight, Blanchard gave us the short, but effective safety speech.

"Don't pull on anything red," said Blanchard. "If you do, the door or something else will fall off."

He also pointed out the emergency exits, which basically are the glass domes over the pilot spot a couple of small windows on the side.

But the most interesting part for me was the nose area. You have to crawl under the pilot's seat to get there, but then you're in the windowed nose of the plane where some of the deadliest action took place.

Of course, the guns have been removed, so it's now the perfect place to watch the aerial scenery below.

On my way out, I ran into my buddy Frank Stokes again. He wanted to know if I saw anything interesting. I quickly filled him in on my experience.

"For me...if it doesn't have a propeller and loud motor, it's not a plane," said Colonel Stokes.

And after riding in the B-25, I have to agree.

SHOW INFORMATION

Ron Carter Wings Over Houston Airshow takes place on October 25 and 26.

Gates open at 8 a.m. at Ellington Field and the show starts at 10 a.m. Tickets are $20 for adults and $5 for children 6-11. It's free for children under 5.

Parking at the field is limited. They recommend riding METRO and taking shuttles from Bay Area Park and Ride and Fuqua Park and Ride.

For more information, visit: http://www.wingsoverhouston.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment