Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tres Hermanas: Holy mole!

All you Taco Bell lovers are about to hate me because I am a Mexican food snob. But it’s not my fault. I'm blaming it all on the great state of Texas.

Yup…when they say “don’t mess with Texas,” they don’t just mean the people; they mean everything and that includes the incredible Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine you can get there. I swear, before I had tasted the real stuff, I was happy with the bland Americanized versions you get at fast food places and non-authentic restaurants.

THE SEARCH FOR THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD

When I moved to California I was excited, because I know you can get some pretty good stuff here. So for the last few months, I’ve been scouring Sacramento in search of the best Mexican food – and finally, on Saturday I found it.

The name of the restaurant is Tres Hermanas (2416 K Street in Midtown) and their food is to die for.

So what did I get that was so mouth-watering good? The mole of course! Anybody can make a sizzling fajita platter, but getting a good mole is hard to come by. Believe me. I know. I’ve ordered it in many Sacramento Mexican restaurants and so far onlyTres Hermanas has me coming back for more.

It’s the perfect blend of warm spices, chocolate, peanuts, chicken and sesame. It’s spicy enough to make you feel it, but not enough to leave your nose running. Man…it’s so good. Just thinking of it now has me craving it.

THE BOTTOM LINE

But here’s the scoop: If you are looking for a trendy date place -- go to Zocalo because it’s pretty - and they make a good marguerita . If you are looking for great drinks, check out Azul’s. BUT…if you are looking for simply good Mexican food and don’t care about décor, being squished or the service, then come to Tres Hermanas.

Because let's face it, when it comes to good Mexican cuisine, who cares about all that stuff? For me, it’s all about the mole.

No comments:

Post a Comment