Tuesday, October 12, 2010

You can call me 'Gringa'

The best part of my Guatemala trip so far has got to be the kids. As soon as they see me they start chanting, “Gringa, Gringa, Gringa!” and then they run over and swarm me with hugs.

Of course, after that they start blabbering away in Spanish and I have no idea what they are saying.

I try to tell them I don’t speak Spanish, but they don’t care. They keep asking “Gringa” questions, but all I hear is “Gringa, blah blah blah blah blah?”

So I bring out my camera to distract them. They hop up and down, shout a little cheer and start posing.

They LOVE getting their photos taken. Really, really, really love it.

I swear, I must have 50 photos of the group of little kids I found playing in this structure behind the hospital. They are hilarious. I have to take a photo and then show it to them. Then they all run over and look through the viewer.

Then, it’s “Gringa, photo, photo!”

Ha! Now they are speaking my language.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment