Sunday, May 9, 2010

The trouble with goat cheese

I don’t know about you, but I have a love/hate relationship with goat cheese. I swear…some days it’s the best thing to come out of a goat, and the next time I eat it, I’m spitting it out into my napkin.

Crazy? Totally.

This weekend was one of those times. On Friday I picked up a goat cheese and spinach pizza from Whole Foods in Arden. It was awful. After two bites, I gave up on eating it and scraped off all the cheese. Basically I ate soggy crust and called it a night.

But then on Sunday, I ordered this tomato/fennel soup with big chunks of goat cheese from Tuli Bistro in Midtown Sacramento and it was wonderful. So what’s up with that? Am I the only one out there with fickle goat cheese taste buds?

The one thing I do know is that I never know what I’m going to get when I order something with goat cheese so I always have a backup plan just in case it happens to suck -- such as picking it off or if I can’t pick it off, I have to make sure it’s followed with either a fabulous main course or a dessert to wash the yucky after taste out of my mouth.

The good news is that more often than not, the cheese works so I will continue to order it. It's kind of like living on the edge  –even if it’s just about goat cheese.

PS By the way, Yellowtail Jack is in season so if it's on the Tuli Bistro menu get it -- especially if you are a tuna lover. It's not as heavy as tuna and it melts in your mouth. Absolute perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment